Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Senate rejects amendment; a win for hungry Americans.
A statement from Feeding America President and CEO, Vicki Escarra, on the recent SNAP vote in the senate. A link has been included in the post to see how your senator voted.
"On behalf of the 49 million Americans struggling with hunger, and our network of 202 food banks, Feeding America commends the Senate for a bi-partisan vote against an amendment in the FY2012 Agriculture Appropriations consideration that would have had a devastating impact on Americans who are eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)."
"This is a time of tremendous need, with unemployment stuck above 9% nationally, and 1 in 6 Americans facing hunger. Millions of workers have lost their jobs, their homes and have seen their families’ economic security slip away. We must strengthen and protect programs that help struggling families put food on the table, not cut them."
"Low income families have already given more than they can bear – we must continue to fight any efforts to further erode the safety net that keeps millions of people from going hungry."
"We are pleased that the Senate rejected this amendment."
Click here to see the roll call of senator votes.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- The Annual Fund Drive: Nourishing Families in Northwest Missouri
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank