Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Senate rejects amendment; a win for hungry Americans.
A statement from Feeding America President and CEO, Vicki Escarra, on the recent SNAP vote in the senate. A link has been included in the post to see how your senator voted.
"On behalf of the 49 million Americans struggling with hunger, and our network of 202 food banks, Feeding America commends the Senate for a bi-partisan vote against an amendment in the FY2012 Agriculture Appropriations consideration that would have had a devastating impact on Americans who are eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)."
"This is a time of tremendous need, with unemployment stuck above 9% nationally, and 1 in 6 Americans facing hunger. Millions of workers have lost their jobs, their homes and have seen their families’ economic security slip away. We must strengthen and protect programs that help struggling families put food on the table, not cut them."
"Low income families have already given more than they can bear – we must continue to fight any efforts to further erode the safety net that keeps millions of people from going hungry."
"We are pleased that the Senate rejected this amendment."
Click here to see the roll call of senator votes.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge
- Tamara Grubb - My SNAP Challenge
- My SNAP Challenge - Day 4