Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Food Stamp Challenge - Tamara's final days
Two days left of the Food Stamp Challenge. WOW…has this been an experience.
To recap, this is what I bought on Sunday for $25.33: Bag of apples, orange juice, (2) Packs of tuna salad, jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly, loaf of bread, can of Pringles, easy mac&cheese, fettuccine alfredo pasta bake, and pretzel crackers.
Great fact/quote: “Food is an important part of a balanced diet.” – Fran Lebowitz
What I have left…four apples, ½ of the orange juice, ½ box of pretzel crackers, four slices of bread, peanut butter and jelly. Luckily I have $2.67 left of my budget. I plan to buy another loaf of bread so I can have something to eat tomorrow.
This has been a great, humbling experience for me. I am hungry and tired, and just don’t feel like myself. I am so thankful for the blessings in my life, that I can take this challenge, but that this isn’t my everyday challenge.
I am more determined than ever to do more here at Second Harvest. We have made great strides to increase access to healthy, nutritious food. We cannot do it alone. We need people who will join us in building hunger free communities. There are 52,000 individuals in our 19 county service area that are food insecure, 20,000 of those are children. Hunger is here. You can be the solution in many ways, I encourage you check out our website, call or come by our office.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge
- Tamara Grubb - My SNAP Challenge
- My SNAP Challenge - Day 4
- ADVOCACY ALERT: Nutrition Bill