Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Food Stamp Challenge - Tamara's final days
Two days left of the Food Stamp Challenge. WOW…has this been an experience.
To recap, this is what I bought on Sunday for $25.33: Bag of apples, orange juice, (2) Packs of tuna salad, jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly, loaf of bread, can of Pringles, easy mac&cheese, fettuccine alfredo pasta bake, and pretzel crackers.
Great fact/quote: “Food is an important part of a balanced diet.” – Fran Lebowitz
What I have left…four apples, ½ of the orange juice, ½ box of pretzel crackers, four slices of bread, peanut butter and jelly. Luckily I have $2.67 left of my budget. I plan to buy another loaf of bread so I can have something to eat tomorrow.
This has been a great, humbling experience for me. I am hungry and tired, and just don’t feel like myself. I am so thankful for the blessings in my life, that I can take this challenge, but that this isn’t my everyday challenge.
I am more determined than ever to do more here at Second Harvest. We have made great strides to increase access to healthy, nutritious food. We cannot do it alone. We need people who will join us in building hunger free communities. There are 52,000 individuals in our 19 county service area that are food insecure, 20,000 of those are children. Hunger is here. You can be the solution in many ways, I encourage you check out our website, call or come by our office.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank