Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
ACTION ALERT: The Farm Bill is Moving--Call your Senators Today
This week, the Senate will take up the Farm Bill, with a final vote in the coming weeks. During this time, the Senate will consider amendments and debate the bill passed by the Senate Agriculture Committee, which contained $4.49 Billion in SNAP cuts. As a result, we have a critical window to get our message across before a final vote on the Senate floor.
Latest News in the Senate
Senator Gillibrand (D-NY) is currently working on getting cosponsors for an amendment that would restore the $4.49 billion cut to SNAP. We also expect amendments that would make deeper cuts to SNAP. While we do not yet know what specific amendments will be brought to the floor for a vote, we need to send a strong message to our Senators to 1) support Senator Gillibrand’s efforts to restore the cuts and 2) oppose any harmful SNAP amendments.
Some conservative groups are saying that the Farm Bill doesn’t cut SNAP enough. They will be rallying their supporters and we need to show that Americans support programs that help their struggling neighbors put food on the table.
Call Your Senators Today!
Help us track our impact by using our toll-free hotline. This system allows you to connect with both of your senators without hanging up the phone.
Remember, this is just the next step in what will likely be a long and complicated process before final passage of the Farm Bill. We’ll need your help to weigh in again within the next couple of weeks as the Farm Bill moves through the House of Representatives. The pressure for deep cuts to SNAP is even greater in the House.
Save the Date!
On June 18 at 1:30 EST we will host our next Virtual Town Hall. Join us for an important discussion with key Members of Congress about the next steps in the Farm Bill and what we need to do to protect and strengthen hunger-relief programs. To join the Virtual Town Hall, register here. And don’t forget to spread the word to your local networks!
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- The Annual Fund Drive: Nourishing Families in Northwest Missouri
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank