Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
ACTION ALERT: The Farm Bill is Moving--Call your Senators Today
This week, the Senate will take up the Farm Bill, with a final vote in the coming weeks. During this time, the Senate will consider amendments and debate the bill passed by the Senate Agriculture Committee, which contained $4.49 Billion in SNAP cuts. As a result, we have a critical window to get our message across before a final vote on the Senate floor.
Latest News in the Senate
Senator Gillibrand (D-NY) is currently working on getting cosponsors for an amendment that would restore the $4.49 billion cut to SNAP. We also expect amendments that would make deeper cuts to SNAP. While we do not yet know what specific amendments will be brought to the floor for a vote, we need to send a strong message to our Senators to 1) support Senator Gillibrand’s efforts to restore the cuts and 2) oppose any harmful SNAP amendments.
Some conservative groups are saying that the Farm Bill doesn’t cut SNAP enough. They will be rallying their supporters and we need to show that Americans support programs that help their struggling neighbors put food on the table.
Call Your Senators Today!
Help us track our impact by using our toll-free hotline. This system allows you to connect with both of your senators without hanging up the phone.
Remember, this is just the next step in what will likely be a long and complicated process before final passage of the Farm Bill. We’ll need your help to weigh in again within the next couple of weeks as the Farm Bill moves through the House of Representatives. The pressure for deep cuts to SNAP is even greater in the House.
Save the Date!
On June 18 at 1:30 EST we will host our next Virtual Town Hall. Join us for an important discussion with key Members of Congress about the next steps in the Farm Bill and what we need to do to protect and strengthen hunger-relief programs. To join the Virtual Town Hall, register here. And don’t forget to spread the word to your local networks!
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Nov 2014
- Hunger in Missouri Underscores the Importance of Food Banks
- Do You Know How Food Insecurity Impacts Children in Your Community?
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge