Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Gary Kincaid, Thankful for The Opportunity
This is the first of a three part blog series that will feature three of our retiring board members as they reflect on their time served with Second Harvest Community Food Bank.
Gary Kincaid has served on the Second Harvest Community Food Bank board of directors since July, 2005. He has held the positions of board vice president and board chair.
After retiring from Altec, Kincaid began volunteering at the Savannah Food Pantry. While there, he helped lead a successful fund drive. It was his success with this drive that led to him being asked to serve on the Second Harvest board.
“I was thankful for the opportunity,” Kincaid said.
During his time on the board, Kincaid has seen an increased need for services as well as increased distribution. He has also seen Second Harvest move into other communities and extend outreach across its 19 county service area. Kincaid says he was especially proud to see the transition process for Harvest House, Second Harvest’s on-site pantry, to Fresh Start, a nonprofit grocery store.
“I’m excited about the Harvest House transition,” Kincaid said. “It’s a great concept and will provide a more respectful environment.”
Kincaid was born and raised in Wichita, KS and moved to St. Joseph in the mid 1960s. Kincaid has been married to his wife Gail for 47 years and has two children. Jennifer, his daughter, has two children and his son Jeff has four children. Kincaid retired from Altec in 1998. In 2006, he started Kincaid Gardens where he sells plant markers.
Comment by Frank Freudenthal on July 09, 2012 - 10:04 PM
Gary is a tremendous asset wherever he serves.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge
- Tamara Grubb - My SNAP Challenge
- My SNAP Challenge - Day 4
- ADVOCACY ALERT: Nutrition Bill