Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Gary Kincaid, Thankful for The Opportunity
This is the first of a three part blog series that will feature three of our retiring board members as they reflect on their time served with Second Harvest Community Food Bank.
Gary Kincaid has served on the Second Harvest Community Food Bank board of directors since July, 2005. He has held the positions of board vice president and board chair.
After retiring from Altec, Kincaid began volunteering at the Savannah Food Pantry. While there, he helped lead a successful fund drive. It was his success with this drive that led to him being asked to serve on the Second Harvest board.
“I was thankful for the opportunity,” Kincaid said.
During his time on the board, Kincaid has seen an increased need for services as well as increased distribution. He has also seen Second Harvest move into other communities and extend outreach across its 19 county service area. Kincaid says he was especially proud to see the transition process for Harvest House, Second Harvest’s on-site pantry, to Fresh Start, a nonprofit grocery store.
“I’m excited about the Harvest House transition,” Kincaid said. “It’s a great concept and will provide a more respectful environment.”
Kincaid was born and raised in Wichita, KS and moved to St. Joseph in the mid 1960s. Kincaid has been married to his wife Gail for 47 years and has two children. Jennifer, his daughter, has two children and his son Jeff has four children. Kincaid retired from Altec in 1998. In 2006, he started Kincaid Gardens where he sells plant markers.
Comment by Frank Freudenthal on July 09, 2012 - 10:04 PM
Gary is a tremendous asset wherever he serves.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Child Hunger in America
- Healthy Eating With Your Local Food Bank
- Support Food Banks With an Office Food Drive
- Community Action Partnership Works to Fight Hunger
- Hosting a Successful Food Drive
- Feeding Missouri Provides Ideas on Fighting Hunger