Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
The Food Justice Movement
Food Equality is at the core of our most ambitious endeavor here at Second Harvest Community Food Bank.
Fresh Start: Your Community Market is designed to expand access to nutritious food and employment opportunities to a portion of St. Joseph that is classified by the USDA as a food desert. In general terms, a food desert is a low income neighborhood or community with greater than 20% poverty rate and little to no access to healthy foods. These neighborhoods are often filled with fast food restaurants and convenience stores that offer little in fight against diet-related diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Below is a map from the USDA Food Desert Locator website:
USDA Food Desert locator showing large food desert (shaded area) to the north and northwest of Downtown St. Joseph.
Lastly, here is a video segment from the Melissa Harris-Perry Show. Melissa does a great job highlighting a new hero in the food justice movement as well as a well-articulated description of our country’s food access challenges.
Join Second Harvest in this effort to bring food equality to St. Joseph. Support Fresh Start and the important programs that will be a part of this important community market.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank