Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
The Food Justice Movement
Food Equality is at the core of our most ambitious endeavor here at Second Harvest Community Food Bank.
Fresh Start: Your Community Market is designed to expand access to nutritious food and employment opportunities to a portion of St. Joseph that is classified by the USDA as a food desert. In general terms, a food desert is a low income neighborhood or community with greater than 20% poverty rate and little to no access to healthy foods. These neighborhoods are often filled with fast food restaurants and convenience stores that offer little in fight against diet-related diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Below is a map from the USDA Food Desert Locator website:
USDA Food Desert locator showing large food desert (shaded area) to the north and northwest of Downtown St. Joseph.
Lastly, here is a video segment from the Melissa Harris-Perry Show. Melissa does a great job highlighting a new hero in the food justice movement as well as a well-articulated description of our country’s food access challenges.
Join Second Harvest in this effort to bring food equality to St. Joseph. Support Fresh Start and the important programs that will be a part of this important community market.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge
- Tamara Grubb - My SNAP Challenge
- My SNAP Challenge - Day 4