Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
The Food Justice Movement
Food Equality is at the core of our most ambitious endeavor here at Second Harvest Community Food Bank.
Fresh Start: Your Community Market is designed to expand access to nutritious food and employment opportunities to a portion of St. Joseph that is classified by the USDA as a food desert. In general terms, a food desert is a low income neighborhood or community with greater than 20% poverty rate and little to no access to healthy foods. These neighborhoods are often filled with fast food restaurants and convenience stores that offer little in fight against diet-related diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Below is a map from the USDA Food Desert Locator website:
USDA Food Desert locator showing large food desert (shaded area) to the north and northwest of Downtown St. Joseph.
Lastly, here is a video segment from the Melissa Harris-Perry Show. Melissa does a great job highlighting a new hero in the food justice movement as well as a well-articulated description of our country’s food access challenges.
Join Second Harvest in this effort to bring food equality to St. Joseph. Support Fresh Start and the important programs that will be a part of this important community market.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Nov 2014
- Dec 2014
- Healthy Eating With Your Local Food Bank
- Support Food Banks With an Office Food Drive
- Community Action Partnership Works to Fight Hunger
- Hosting a Successful Food Drive
- Feeding Missouri Provides Ideas on Fighting Hunger
- Snapshot of Success: Gary Kincaid Volunteers With a Vision of a Hunger-Free Community
- Child Hunger Ends Here
- Everyone Should Have Access to the Benefits of Healthy Eating
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank’s Thanksgiving Meal Distribution
- How Food Insecurity Impacts Children and Learning
- Hunger in America: It May Look Different Than You Would Expect
- The Role of Food Pantries in the Classroom
- Hunger in Missouri Underscores the Importance of Food Banks
- Do You Know How Food Insecurity Impacts Children in Your Community?
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools