Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
SNAP Challenge - A Board Member's Journey
As a new member of Second Harvest Community Food Bank's board of directors, I thought a good way to gain an understanding of what it's like to face food insecurity, was to participate in the SNAP Challenge.
Thinking about a grocery list wasn't much fun, but on Sunday afternoon I went to Aldi's...
I wanted to be able to incorporate as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. However, on a budget of $4.50 a day for five days, I realized I needed to combine my ideas of fresh with canned and dried. Sadly, I had to put back the avocado and cabbage.
My total bill was $22.79
Breakfast this week has been celery with Peanut Butter. Surprisingly, it is something I look forward to. Lunch has been brown rice, black beans, corn and diced tomatoes... somewhat dull, but filling. Dinner both nights so far has been a grilled hamburger, sliced tomatoes and a sweet potato. Sweet potatos were my biggest bargain...$1.49 for a whole bag. My treat in the evening has been a cold, crisp, sliced Granny Smith apple. A far cry from my usual treat of dark chocolate and red wine. I have used two large tomatoes from my garden but other than that, all my meals have come from my trip to the grocery store.
I have not been hungry, but it is only Wednesday morning.
I am fearful though. I truly hope the food lasts...
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
- Barry Birr -- My SNAP Challenge
- Director of Operation's Final Thoughts on SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher Reflects on her SNAP Challenge
- Programs Coordinator Begins her SNAP Challenge
- Stacy Fisher - My SNAP Journey Continues
- Tamara Grubb - Day 4 of my SNAP Challenge
- Director of Marketing Takes SNAP Challenge
- Tamara Grubb - My SNAP Challenge
- My SNAP Challenge - Day 4