Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
SNAP Challenge - A Board Member's Journey
As a new member of Second Harvest Community Food Bank's board of directors, I thought a good way to gain an understanding of what it's like to face food insecurity, was to participate in the SNAP Challenge.
Thinking about a grocery list wasn't much fun, but on Sunday afternoon I went to Aldi's...
I wanted to be able to incorporate as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. However, on a budget of $4.50 a day for five days, I realized I needed to combine my ideas of fresh with canned and dried. Sadly, I had to put back the avocado and cabbage.
My total bill was $22.79
Breakfast this week has been celery with Peanut Butter. Surprisingly, it is something I look forward to. Lunch has been brown rice, black beans, corn and diced tomatoes... somewhat dull, but filling. Dinner both nights so far has been a grilled hamburger, sliced tomatoes and a sweet potato. Sweet potatos were my biggest bargain...$1.49 for a whole bag. My treat in the evening has been a cold, crisp, sliced Granny Smith apple. A far cry from my usual treat of dark chocolate and red wine. I have used two large tomatoes from my garden but other than that, all my meals have come from my trip to the grocery store.
I have not been hungry, but it is only Wednesday morning.
I am fearful though. I truly hope the food lasts...
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank