Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn
Jenny Osborn is one of two Food Security Coordinators who work to promote Second Harvest Community Food Bank’s Close the Gap program. Close the Gap was created to provide better access to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly called food stamps.) Jenny has only been at Second Harvest for a year, but she’s quickly established herself as a vital part of the organization.
Jenny enjoys meeting and helping families that need access to nutritious food. One of the most memorable people she has met through her job was a woman who moved to Missouri from another state. The woman was living with a friend, but she had to have stable housing in order for her son to live with her. Jenny helped the woman obtain food and SNAP benefits.
“When I first met this woman she was very upset because she had no food, was staying with a friend and missed her son very much,” said Jenny Osborn, Food Security Coordinator for Second Harvest. “But things slowly started to improve. Every time I saw her shopping in Second Harvest’s nonprofit grocery store (Fresh Start, Your Community Market), she had good news to report. She’d tell me about obtaining a home, her SNAP benefits being approval, getting a job and then one day, she walked in and had her son by her side. It was the happiest I had ever seen her. It was so rewarding to see her go from tears to having the biggest smile in the world.”
Being a Food Security Coordinator entails visiting senior and low-income housing complexes, others’ homes, and other nonprofit organizations, as well as visiting caregivers and social workers in Buchanan and Andrew Counties to assist those in need apply for SNAP benefits.
Close the Gap is made possible through the Missouri Promoting Food Security Program. In its first two years, the program enrolled 1,616 individuals onto SNAP. Jenny and her counterpart, Deb Ramey, hope to enroll 850 additional individual onto the vital program this year.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Nov 2014
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank’s Thanksgiving Meal Distribution
- How Food Insecurity Impacts Children and Learning
- Hunger in America: It May Look Different Than You Would Expect
- The Role of Food Pantries in the Classroom
- Hunger in Missouri Underscores the Importance of Food Banks
- Do You Know How Food Insecurity Impacts Children in Your Community?
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway
- Building Hunger-Free Communities Annual Fund Drive Underway
- Food Banks, Kansas Department of Agriculture Kick Off Food Drive
- Super Food Fair, Nourishing Neighbors
- Second Harvest and Heartland Announce Partnership
- Meet our Staff - Jenny Osborn