Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
ADVOCACY ALERT: Nutrition Bill
Next week we expect the House to bring up the “Nutrition Bill,” which will cut $40 billion from SNAP over the next 10 years. This is on top of the impending benefit reductions that will impact all SNAP participants beginning November 2013.
If passed, the bill would result in about 1.5 billion lost meals for hungry families every year for the next 10 years. While we are grateful the bill also includes additional resources for TEFAP, the increased funding will not come close to helping hungry families replace the meals lost due to the SNAP cuts. We can’t let that happen.
This is our opportunity to send a strong message to Congress. On September 17, we are hosting a National Call in Day to urge the House to vote against this harmful bill. We hope you’ll join us by calling your Representative and mobilizing your local supporters.
And don’t forget, we are also hosting a virtual town hall on September 17 at 12:00 EST to talk about the Farm Bill and rally support for SNAP and TEFAP. There’s still time to sign up for this important call!
Sample Action Alert
This week, the House of Representatives will vote on a Farm Bill proposal that will cut $40 billion from SNAP. The cut would translate into about 1.5 billion lost meals for hungry families every year for the next 10 years. This is on top of the looming benefit reductions that will impact all SNAP participants starting in November 2013.
The combined cuts would lead to more lost meals than the entire Feeding America network distributes in a year. Increasing hunger in America is not the way to balance our nation’s budget.
We must send a strong message to Congress. Join our National Call in Day and help us flood the phone lines by urging your Representative to oppose the bill and mobilizing your local supporters to do the same!
Calling Congress is easy. Here’s how:
- Call our advocacy hotline at 866-456-8824
- Listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted. Once you are connected to your Representative, state that you are a constituent and give your name and the town you are calling from. Be sure to give the name of the food bank or local agency you are affiliated with.
- Let them know you are calling about the Farm Bill and deliver this important message:
As your constituent and [supporter/employee] of [food bank name], I am asking you to vote against the House Farm Bill proposal to cut $40 billion from SNAP. This bill will be devastating to struggling Americans, and our food bank cannot fill the gap. While we support the increased funding for TEFAP, the TEFAP investments will not offset the lost meals due to the cuts to SNAP. I understand the need to reduce the deficit, but increasing hunger is not the way to do it. Please oppose this bill and support additional funding for TEFAP as the Farm Bill moves forward.
Recruit others by spreading the word through your social media channels.
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Child Hunger in America
- Healthy Eating With Your Local Food Bank
- Support Food Banks With an Office Food Drive
- Community Action Partnership Works to Fight Hunger
- Hosting a Successful Food Drive
- Feeding Missouri Provides Ideas on Fighting Hunger
- Snapshot of Success: Gary Kincaid Volunteers With a Vision of a Hunger-Free Community
- Child Hunger Ends Here