Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Archives - July 2011
July 26, 2011
Threatened Cuts to Emergency Nutrition Assistance Poorly Timed
Recently the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced the local unemployment rate was 8.2 percent. Nationally, unemployment has been stuck around 9 percent for two years, and the increased need for food assistance and other safety net programs during that period has been staggering. Read more to find out how Second Harvest Community Food Bank is doing our very best to help!Read more...
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/26/11, 09:51 AM
July 21, 2011
SNAP (Food Stamps): Know The Facts
Recently the United States Department of Agriculture reported that payment accuracy for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) has never been higher: in FY 2010, 96.19 percent of all benefits were issued correctly, the fourth consecutive year the program has achieved a historically high rate. These improvements reduced the cost of improper payments by an estimated $356 million.Read more...
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/21/11, 10:08 AM
July 19, 2011
Hunger Policy Update
The SHCFB Weekly Hunger Policy Update highlights what's new on hunger, nutrition and poverty issues. SHCFB will use this policy update to alert you to trends, reports, news items and resources and, when available, link you directly to them.Read more...
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/19/11, 09:35 AM
July 18, 2011
The Sun Sets on the Missouri Food Pantry Tax Credit
The cut of the Missouri Food Pantry Tax Credit comes at a time of significant challenges for Missouri families who are trying to put food on the table. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Missouri is seventh in the nation in food insecurity and sixth in very low food security. Over 900,000 Missourians are food insecure. In Second Harvest Community Food Bank's 19-county service area, 15 percent of the population is considered food insecure. This year, Second Harvest distributed over 4 million pounds of food to those in need. Of those served by Second Harvest, 30 percent are children and 20 percent are seniors.Read more...
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/18/11, 04:12 PM
July 06, 2011
Congratulations to the St. Joseph YMCA
The YMCA's Kid's World Early Learning Center has earned a perfect 5 star rating in the state's quality rating system.
The center is being recognized for improving early childhood and after school programs.
The rating system takes into account program content, management and family involvement in the learning environment.
Congratulations again to our friends from the YMCA for this recognition and for years of important work done in the Greater St. Joseph area.
Click HERE to see the KQ2 Coverage of the YMCA recognition.
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/06/11, 01:24 PM
July 05, 2011
Weekly Hunger Policy Update
The Second Harvest Weekly Hunger Policy Update highlights what's new on hunger, nutrition and poverty issues. Second Harvest will use this policy update to alert you to trends, reports, news items and resources and, when available, link you directly to them.
A June 27th letter from leaders of anti-hunger, religious, civil rights and other organizations urged the White House and Congress to reduce the deficit without increasing poverty.
Act Now: Contact the White House (President Obama and Vice President Biden) and Senators to urge them to protect SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and other safety net programs during the debt ceiling negotiations. Call toll free 1-888-245-0215.Read more...
Posted by David Davenport, Second Harvest Executive Director - 07/05/11, 09:41 AM
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Jan 2014
- Feb 2014
- Mar 2014
- Apr 2014
- May 2014
- Jun 2014
- Jul 2014
- Aug 2014
- Sep 2014
- Oct 2014
- Nov 2014
- Dec 2014
- Support Food Banks With an Office Food Drive
- Community Action Partnership Works to Fight Hunger
- Hosting a Successful Food Drive
- Feeding Missouri Provides Ideas on Fighting Hunger
- Snapshot of Success: Gary Kincaid Volunteers With a Vision of a Hunger-Free Community
- Child Hunger Ends Here
- Everyone Should Have Access to the Benefits of Healthy Eating
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank’s Thanksgiving Meal Distribution
- How Food Insecurity Impacts Children and Learning
- Hunger in America: It May Look Different Than You Would Expect
- The Role of Food Pantries in the Classroom
- Hunger in Missouri Underscores the Importance of Food Banks
- Do You Know How Food Insecurity Impacts Children in Your Community?
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank is Competing for $60,000
- Case Study: Second Harvest Community Food Bank
- Second Harvest Receives $20,000 to Help Nourish Children at Risk of Hunger This Summer
- Heartland Provides Yummy Food to St. Joseph Schools
- Letter Carriers Prepare to Stamp Out Hunger
- Second Harvest Participating in Feinstein Annual $1 Million Giveaway