Second Harvest Community Food Bank Blog
Archives - January 2013
January 31, 2013
Take Action Now-Food Pantry Tax Credit
As you may be aware, the Senate recently voted to approve SB 20, which included renewal of the Food Pantry Tax Credit, although the cap for the credit was reduced from $2 million to $1.25 million. The bill now moves to the House, where we hope we can get the House to approve the credit with the $2 million cap.Read more...
Posted by Chad Higdon, interim executive director - 01/31/13, 09:53 AM
January 18, 2013
Do you work in the agriculture industry? If so, we need your help.
1 in 5. That’s the number of people in Northwest Missouri and Northeast Kansas who are food insecure. While farmers are busy producing food, there has been no easy way for farmers to use their crops to help those struggling in our region. But what if these farmers could just hand part of the crops they grow to the people who need it most? That’s the idea behind Invest an Acre. Now, it’s easy for farmers to be part of the solution to hunger.Read more...
Posted by Aaron Smullin, CSMA, public relations specialist - 01/18/13, 11:49 AM
January 10, 2013
Join Second Harvest for the National Day of Service
The 2013 MLK Day of Service is almost here – and Americans across the country are rolling up their sleeves in service. Are you ready to get out and serve?Read more...
Posted by Aaron Smullin, CSMA, public relations specialist - 01/10/13, 11:23 AM
January 08, 2013
Fresh Start, Your Community Market is Open for Business
Second Harvest made history on January 7, 2013 as it opened the first nonprofit grocery store associated with a food bank, Fresh Start, Your Community Market.Read more...
Posted by Aaron Smullin, CSMA, public relations specialist - 01/08/13, 10:20 AM
January 02, 2013
What does the Fiscal Cliff Agreement Mean for Hunger-Relief?
On January 1, Congress passed an agreement to avert the “Fiscal Cliff” and prevent tax rates from rising on 98% of Americans. As part of the deal, the automatic spending cuts (sequestration) that were scheduled to go into effect on January 1 have been postponed for two months.Read more...
Posted by Aaron Smullin, CSMA, public relations specialist - 01/02/13, 02:16 PM
- Hunger Story
- Hunger Policy
- Second Harvest News
- Second Harvest Event
- Food Stamp Challenge 2012
- News Clips
- Food Insecurities
- Hunger Research
- Teens and Hunger
- Poverty and Hunger
- Community Partners
- Hunger Facts: Food Insecurity Affects Seniors, Too
- Nourishing Seniors: What You Need to Know
- Benefitting Seniors With A Food Drive
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Helps Seniors Get the Nutrients They Need
- Facts About Seniors and Hunger
- Regina Overman: An Ambassador for Building Hunger-Free Communities
- Nourishing Seniors With Senior Boxes
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank Provides Balanced Nutrition to Seniors
- Close the Gap on Food Insecurity
- Hunger in America Impacted by SNAP Cuts
- Campus Cupboard Helps Fuel Students for Academic Success
- Fresh Start Helps Families Facing Hunger
- The Link Between Learning and Child Hunger in America
- Beverages Play an Important Role in Nutrition
- Teaching Your Children the Value of Giving and Help us in Our Mission of Nourishing Families
- Becoming a Soup Kitchen Volunteer
- SNAP Program May Boost Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Wise Giving Alliance’s Standards for Charity Accountability BBB Accreditation Given to Second Harvest Community Food Bank