Start a Food Drive
Food drives are an important part of how we fight hunger in the Second Harvest service area. We welcome the involvement of your organization in helping us stock local food pantries for Second Harvest and our partners. Last year, nearly 200,000 pounds of food was donated via food drives. If your organization would like to host a food drive, contact Michelle Fagerstone at 816-364-3663.
How to Conduct a Food/Fund Drive:
As the only food bank servicing Northwest Missouri and Northeast Kansas, it is critical that the independence and integrity of Second Harvest Community Food Bank be maintained. Before making plans for your food drive, please review the following guidelines:
More about donating food:
In the fight against hunger, food donors are an important partner for Second Harvest, providing the majority of the food that we distribute through our network of local partners. At Second Harvest, we receive donations of surplus food that is then distributed through our local Partner Agencies, in addition to direct service programs.
Whether you are an individual, manufacturer, distributor, grocer, retailer, restaurant, produce market, producer or farmer, your donation is welcome. For more information, please contact Michelle Fagerstone at 816-364-3663, or see additional information below.
We count on your donations! After you have checked to be sure that your donation follows our Food Donation Guidelines, contact our Distribution Center and we will distribute the food to your neighbors that need it most. We accept frozen food, perishable products and shelf-stable foods. Second Harvest and our Partner Agencies rely on your donations, which are protected under the Good Samaritan Act.
You can join our mission to build hunger-free communities with your donation! Here are five reasons to get started today:
- It’s free. We arrive with our refrigerated trucks and collect your donation at no charge.
- It’s safe. Your donations are fully protected from criminal and legal liability under the Bill Emerson law, Good Samaritan Act. Our staff and Partner Agencies are also fully trained in food safety each year.
- It’s sustainable. Looking for ways to go green? A donation to Second Harvest is environmentally-friendly and will dramatically impact your waste and disposal costs.
- It’s tax-deductible. You will receive monthly donation receipts, and you are able to write off up to twice the cost of your donated product.
- It makes a difference. Your donation helps your neighbors in need. Donating excess product also allows your company to dispose of product in a way that aligns with the values of your company.
- Give to the Virtual Food Drive: You can select items to help nourish families, add them to your cart, and checkout and pay online. Host your own online Virtual Food Drive today!
Are you interested in coordinating a food drive?
Do you want to simply drop off a food donation at the Distribution Center?
Give to the Virtual Food Drive: You can select items to help nourish families, add them to your cart, and checkout and pay online. Host your own online Virtual Food Drive today!